Personal Injury cases
– $179,000 total settlement (including policy limits from carrier for at-fault driver, Personal Injury Protection/PIP waiver and underinsured settlement) for injured physician driver with head, neck, finger injuries after major auto collision.
– $163,000 settlement after mediation for significant burns to infant accidentally scalded at King County daycare center.
– $145,000 mediated settlement for elderly shopper who slipped, fell, broke hip on steps with no handrail while departing a furniture store, requiring move to assisted-living facility. Uniform Building Code violation.
– $85,000 mediated settlement for elderly resident in assisted care facility whose attendant, wheeling resident to toilet, rammed resident into wall, fracturing femur.
– $85,000 settlement from policy limits and (PIP) subrogation waiver for ice skater with neck, back and sacroiliac injuries after near head-on collision. Restricted ability to perform ice skating jumps after accident.
– $75,000 for lady with previous hydrocephalus rear-ended on I-5 by drunk driver, causing claimant head and neck injuries and increased cranial pressure.
– $75,000 mediated settlement for injuries to former tri-athlete after significant rear-end collision.
– $60,000 settlement for diabetic school teacher whose foot was burned and nearly scalded in a foot bath at a pedicure spa.
– $50,000 mediated settlement for real estate salesperson with neck, back injuries and dizziness/vertigo problems after rear-end collision contributing to end decades-long ski patrol career.
– Policy limits settlement and Personal Injury Protection (PIP) subrogation waiver for college student rear-ended at high speed.
• Estate planning projects
– Successfully completed dozens of estate plans including credit trust wills, durable powers of attorney and medical directives to physicians for numerous clients/their estates, taking into consideration the federal estate tax threshold and Washington state estate tax levels.
– Example is probate of $3 million estate of married dentist successfully completed in 2011.
– Probate of estate of married soldiers returning from Afghanistan who, tragically, were killed back in United States.
• Probate litigation matters
– Successful resolution through negotiation of division of estate between family members and step-mother.
• Business disputes
– Successful resolution with mediation of property division after dissolution of partnership between Russians living in Seattle, Moscow and Portland, Ore.
– Copyright dispute re: art figurines imported from China into California and Washington. Transferred case to California copyright litigation law firm.
– Interpreted numerous covenants not to compete, severance agreements for executives leaving their employer for a new company or for retirement.
– Successful resolution of construction dispute between builder and owners.
• Medical malpractice defense cases (with two previous defense law firms)
– Successful resolution for anesthesiologist after claimed intravascular injection with epidural anesthetic provided to mother during delivery possibly caused seizures to newborn.
– Successful jury trial defense of dentist allegedly damaging all 4 of patient’s upper front teeth, all of which were extracted after dental care.
– Co-defense counsel on case involving settlement for allegedly failing timely to diagnose cervical cancer (settlement confidential).
– Successful defense of orthopedic surgeon when foot surgery patient had post-operative infection.
• Settlement guardian ad litem work
– Over 50+ settlement guardian ad litem cases (Examples include wrongful death medical malpractice settlement over $800,000; severe injuries to elderly lady rear-ended causing her move to nursing facility, $400,000; $101,000 settlement for toddler whose finger was severed in machine).
• Arbitrator for mandatory arbitration cases (approximately two dozen cases)
• Appellate court case
Clifford L. Peterson serves clients throughout Pierce, King, Kitsap, Thurston and the surrounding counties.